1) Start by sorting thru your giant paper pile making it into 3 smaller temporary piles labeled "To Read/Process", "To File", "Throw Away". Once the pile is sorted, throw away the third "throw away" pile. It feels good to do so.
2) Make file folders to avoid collecting piles of paper on your desk.
3) Use a file sorter to orgazine your file folders so that they aren't "piled" back onto your desk.
4) Wipe down the clean desk space with a surface cleaner.
5) Sit back and relax. Put your feet up on your clean desk and admire your hard work. :)