Friday, May 12, 2006

Feeling Blue??

I Like Blue.

I had a seller once tell me that his home was worth more than he paid for it 6 months prior because he had painted the inside, well, blue. Now, not to be misunderstood, I like blue. It reminds me of the ocean in Hawaii, warm and inviting. Beautiful. Truly paradise. But let’s face it, is your home really worth more because of a little blue latex paint?

My mom has always said cleanliness is next to godliness, or something like that. Growing up I never really understood that since I was the guy whose room was always a mess. Why pick something up off the floor now when I am going to use it tomorrow anyway. Pretty typical thinking for a 16 year old. Ok, I admit it, I haven’t changed that much if you ask my wife, but she has worked hard to train me. I digress.

The point is, paint covers a multitude of sins. It’s cheap, relative easy to do if you are careful, and wow what a difference it can make. If you are selling your home, stick with flat paint because it covers well and hides imperfections is the walls much better than a semi-gloss. About $10 a gallon is all you need. The big thing with paint is that it makes everything look fresh and clean. Even people that live in dirty homes want one that is clean when they move in. As one client once told me, I want to bring my own dirt in, not live with someone else’s.

But blue? This client was convinced that blue paint would sell his home for more money than any other color. He loved blue, and therefore, everyone would love blue. Well it may sound silly as I write this, but he was serious. The fact is...painting a home can be one of the best things you can do in selling your home, but you might want to consider a more neutral color. Although the blue home did sell, it took a little longer because either the buyers loved it or hated it. Most buyers would like to think that they can see past things like this, but they can’t. Go neutral or off white no matter how boring you think it might be. Accent your home with color, blue flowers if you like. Most all buyers are fine with off white. They can add color as they see fit. And whatever you do, keep the paint off of the trim and ceiling, otherwise it will look like you did it yourself. Take your time and do it right.

Your blue loving Realtor,
Paul Dizmang

No comments: